This year, we wanted to keep it simple for Easter and decided to make grilled steak and salad. I whipped up this spring inspired salad to accompany our steak. It’s been a long winter and, in our household, we are ready for spring, so this light salad was just the thing we needed. The hints of citrus and honey, paired with the spicy jalapeno and smooth avocado made for a unique and satisfying treat.
Citrusy Cucumber Avocado Salad
- 1 cucumber, julienned
- 1/2 cup red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 fennel bulb, thinly sliced
- 1 large pink grapefruit, sectioned (juice reserved)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon orange blossom honey
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and minced
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted and sliced
- 2 heads of romaine, chopped
Combine cucumber, onion, fennel, 3 tablespoons grapefruit juice, oil, honey, jalapeños and salt in a medium bowl and mix well. Add grapefruit and avocado and gently toss. Divide chopped romaine onto plates and top with salad mixture.
- 1 1.5 lb sirloin steak
- salt, pepper and garlic powder to taste
Generously apply salt, pepper and garlic powder to steak. Wrap in aluminum foil and let sit for at least 30 minutes. Preheat grill to 625 degrees. Place steak on center of grill and heat for 2 and a half minutes. Flip steak and cook for an additional 2 and a half minutes. Remove from grill and allow to rest for 10 minutes. Slice and enjoy!