Inspired by a recipe from Bon Appetit, this dish is a fancified version of a typical Chicken Parm sandwich. Coated lightly in bread crumbs and parmesan cheese and then lightly fried, the ground chicken is savory and juicy. We served ours on some sourdough bread. The second day, we used kale instead of lettuce for a heartier green flavor.
- 2 slices of bread, crusts removed, diced
- 1/2 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
- 4 tablespoons minced fresh basil, divided
- 3/4 cup marinara sauce
- 1 lb. ground chicken (white meat)
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon grated onion
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 ounces grated mozzarella
- Red leaf lettuce for garnish
- 2 large pieces of sourdough bread
Blend diced bread and Parmesan in processor to fine crumbs. Transfer to pie dish; mix in 2 tablespoons minced basil.
Mix marinara and 2 tablespoons basil in small saucepan. Transfer 1 1/2 tablespoons sauce to large bowl. Add chicken, onion, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Sprinkle with pepper; blend. Shape into four 1/2-inch-thick patties; coat with crumbs. Heat sauce over low heat.
Heat 1 1/2 tablespoons oil in large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Cook patties until bottoms are crusty, 4 minutes. Turn patties over; top with cheese. Cook 3 minutes. Cover; cook until cooked through and cheese is melted, about 1 minute.
Assemble burgers with bread, lettuce, and warm marinara.