- 1 1/4 pounds large uncooked shrimp, peeled, deveined
- 3 teaspoons Cajun seasoning, divided
- 3 slices of Jamison’s thick smoked bacon, chopped
- 2 cups fresh okra, chopped
- 1 12 ounce container cherry tomatoes
- 2 tbsp. white vinegar
- 1 10 1/2 -ounce can clam sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
Toss shrimp and 1 1/2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning in medium bowl to coat. Cook bacon in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until crisp and brown. Using slotted spoon, transfer bacon to paper towel to drain. Remove bacon grease from skillet, leaving about 1 tbps. Add 2 tbsp vinegar, okra and cherry tomatoes. Stir in remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning. Cook 1 minute. Add clam sauce and allspice. Boil until sauce it thickens, stirring often, about 3 minutes. Add shrimp. Sauté shrimp until just opaque in center, about 5 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Mix cooked bacon. Serve.
The original recipe did not include vinegar, however, because okra can get slimy- vinegar prevents this. It also called for flour, to create a roux, but we opted not to thicken the sauce.
*We served ours over Japanese Wheat Noodles, tossed in olive oil and pesto.
One thought on “New Orleans Shrimp, Okra and Tomato Saute”
Mmm you had me at Japanese Wheat Noodles… oh and bacon… YUM!