- 1 1/4 pounds large uncooked shrimp, peeled, deveined
- 3 teaspoons Cajun seasoning, divided
- 3 slices of Jamison’s thick smoked bacon, chopped
- 2 cups fresh okra, chopped
- 1 12 ounce container cherry tomatoes
- 2 tbsp. white vinegar
- 1 10 1/2 -ounce can clam sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
Toss shrimp and 1 1/2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning in medium bowl to coat. Cook bacon in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until crisp and brown. Using slotted spoon, transfer bacon to paper towel to drain. Remove bacon grease from skillet, leaving about 1 tbps. Add 2 tbsp vinegar, okra and cherry tomatoes. Stir in remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning. Cook 1 minute. Add clam sauce and allspice. Boil until sauce it thickens, stirring often, about 3 minutes. Add shrimp. Sauté shrimp until just opaque in center, about 5 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Mix cooked bacon. Serve.
The original recipe did not include vinegar, however, because okra can get slimy- vinegar prevents this. It also called for flour, to create a roux, but we opted not to thicken the sauce.
*We served ours over Japanese Wheat Noodles, tossed in olive oil and pesto.